The Japanese all wheel drive automaker, Subaru, has just revealed their biggest surprise for the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show, a Hybrid Tourer Concept. The gas/electric car of the future features a pair of oversized gullwing doors and is powered by a hybrid drivetrain that centers around a 2.0 Liter horizontally opposed direct gasoline injection turbocharged engine combined with two auxiliary electric motors, one placed at each axle to continue Subaru’s all wheel drive philosophy powered by a high performance lithium ion battery pack.
The gas burning boxer power plant is mated to the automotive arm of Fuji Heavy Industry’s symmetrical all wheel drive system and the automaker’s latest power train invention, a next generation continuously variable transmission that Subaru calls a Lineatronic CVT. The fuel efficient Hybrid Tourer Concept gets the majority of its power from the refined flat four; but the electric motors, making 27 HP up front and 13 HP in the rear, provide an additional boost and make the new Subaru capable of operating round town as a zero emission vehicle.
Aside from the concepts unique design both inside and out, the Tourer Hybrid Concept also features a unique driver assist system called EyeSight that provides the new car with vehicle to vehicle and road to vehicle communication technology. The program includes a collision prevention support system that uses a unique stereoscopic camera that is capable of recognizing a wide variety of driving obstacles with the goal of improving passenger safety and providing drivers with peace of mind touring.
Press release after the jump.
Subaru has condensed its DNA, developed over many years around the Subaru’s core technology of “Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD)” and “Horizontally-Opposed Boxer Engine”, into the integration of a luxurious and high-quality cabin atmosphere and an eye-catching sculpted body. The concept car features Subaru’s latest evolutions in handling agility, riding comfort and superior safety performance. It proposes Subaru’s vision of a future grand touring car that excels in environmental friendliness thanks to Subaru’s unique hybrid system.
2. Design and packaging
Subaru imagined wings with a feeling of freedom and confidence for driving far and wide in any environment. A luxurious and comfortable cabin, and advanced driving performance are contained within a sculpted aerodynamic form. The design features a combination of bright, open glass areas with a solid, reliable body.
The original point of the ideal grand touring car is its interior design, featuring four independent and comfortably positioned seats. Passengers are enclosed within an atmosphere that provides a surpassing feeling of openness and stress-free reassurance, through the further pursuit of a human-centered philosophy, the essence of Subaru car design, and the incorporation of functions that are friendly to passengers.
- The top of the dashboard is movable up and down to provide an optimal driving environment for the driver according to driving conditions.
- A flat floor in the rear seat was achieved even with the implementation of AWD, for improved use and movement inside the cabin.
- Specialized shielding is incorporated in the windshield to reduce eyestrain on the driver.
- New leather covering developed with superior breathability and a ventilation function is used in the seats for improved comfort and texture.
In addition to refinements to Subaru’s core technology such as Symmetrical AWD and Horizontally-Opposed Boxer Engine, further enhancements were made for improved environmental friendliness, driving performance and high safety performance by offering a next-generation power unit system and advanced safety technologies.
(1) Next-generation power unit system
2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed direct fuel-injection turbo gasoline engine
The Horizontally-Opposed turbo gasoline engine, with a reputation for powerful acceleration, is combined with a direct fuel-injection system for improvements in fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, and improved torque and response in practical range. This evolution in Subaru turbo technology excels in both environmental friendliness and engine performance.
Lineartronic, Subaru’s new generation automatic transmission, achieves further improvements in both fuel efficiency and driving performance by reinforcing parts for use with the high-power output of a turbo engine.
- To further enhance the appeal of the Symmetrical AWD system, this unique hybrid two-motor system features a power/drive motor in the front and a drive motor in the rear.
- At start-up and extremely low speeds when fuel efficiency is low, such as when driving the car into a garage, the rear motor is used primarily to allow driving without utilizing the power of the engine.
- During normal driving, the front engine is primarily used. The direct fuel-injection turbo gasoline mated with the Symmetrical AWD offers a whole new, Subaru driving experience.
- During acceleration, the rear motor assists the driving power of the engine to achieve advanced driving performance.
- Further, when accelerating uphill, the front motor, which is normally used as a power generator, assists to drive the front axle for improved performance.
- The implementation of a non-idling function that stops the engine when the car comes to a halt reduces unnecessary fuel consumption.
- The use of a high-performance lithium battery is based on experience and know-how achieved with the Subaru Plug-in STELLA electric vehicle, launched this summer. This includes the use of a precise energy management system and regenerative brake controls, for improvements in excellent fuel efficiency.
- Length x Width x Height: 4,630 x 1,890 x 1,420mm
- Engine type: 2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed direct fuel-injection turbo
- gasoline engine
- Max output of Motor: 10kW (Front) / 20kW (Rear)
- Transmission type: Lineartronic
- Drive train: Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with 2 motors assist
- Battery type: Lithium-ion battery
(2) EyeSight + (plus)
Subaru has integrated its unique driving assist system, EyeSight, with vehicle-to-vehicle and road-to-vehicle communication technology. EyeSight includes an assist collision prevention support system that uses its unique stereo camera technology to recognize a wide range of driving environments. This next-generation driver assistance system provides improved safety and peace-of-mind for passengers, and represents a major evolution in collision detection performance.
- The advanced environment recognition performance of EyeSight, using a stereo camera and a specialized 3D image processing engine, excels at pre-collision safety through the recognition of both pedestrians and cyclists as well.
- Wide-ranging driving conditions that cannot be covered by a stereo camera alone are acquired through vehicle-to-vehicle and road-to-vehicle communication technology, which is then synchronized with EyeSight for a further evolution in preventative safety. Specifically, this system continuously detects vehicles that move into and out of blind spots, and advises the driver on appropriate driving maneuvers